In this course, you will :
- Learn how to generate design ideas from found objects. See what kinds of spheres you can use to make a lighting mould and how to make them.
- Before preparing the first part of your mould, go over the materials you'll need to make your ceramic lamp and how to set up your workspace.
- Learn how to build the walls of your plaster mould step by step, then mix and pour the plaster. Get your mould ready for use, then learn how to open and remove your sphere.
- Before learning how to dry your mould correctly, clean it and make any necessary adjustments.
- Marre demonstrates how to make a ceramic slip, cast your first sphere, and prepare it for joining.
- Discover how to join your ceramic elements to make a new shape. Before creating your lighting openings, decide on the final design while keeping technical aspects in mind.
- When your object is finished, learn how to add the finishing touches and fire it in a kiln.
- Investigate various ceramic finishing techniques such as sanding, glazing, and firing. Learn about the tools you'll need to wire your final pendant lamp and the steps you'll need to take to put it together.
- Learn how to make other lighting effects and how to properly pack your object for safe shipping. Marre's tips on the design industry and how to share your work and portfolio round out the course.
1. Design Development
- Concept Development and Technical Considerations
- Setting up Your Workspace and Prep Mold
2. Mold Making and Casting
- Making the Mold
- Opening and Drying the Mold
- Casting the Object with Ceramic Slip
- Joining and Building
- Sanding, Firing, and Glazing
- Final Piece and Other Shapes