In this course, you will learn :
- How to use colour and stitching in a painterly manner to create realistic portraits with meaningful messages
- Investigate new techniques for embroidering monochromatic works of art that inspire positive change.
- Create contemporary portraits with thread to find a new way to express yourself.
- Dive into the materials required for this course, which include everything from scissors to embroidery thread.
- Learn about colour theory and how to identify tints, shades, tones, and gradients in thread before seeing how they can elicit different emotions in portraiture.
- Investigate how portraiture has evolved over time, as well as how to depict stories and emotions through your subject.
- guides you through the process of selecting the right reference image for your portrait before demonstrating how to edit it to create your monochromatic colour scheme.
- Using Illustrator's digital tracing software, create a colour map to identify changes in skin tone. Then, in preparation for your embroidery, print and transfer your image onto your canvas.
- Use your map from earlier in the course as a guide for your stitches as you investigate the concept of colour blocking.
- Learn how to use back and forth stitching to create the illusion of a gradient.
1. Preparation: Knowledge and Materials
- Color Theory
- Storytelling through Color and Portraiture
2. Photo Editing and Portrait Production
- Getting Your Foundation Portrait
- Editing Your Image
- Color Mapping
- Transferring Image
3. Stitching, Blending, and Refining
- Color Blocking
- Redefining and Blending Stitches
- Adding Details with Highlights
- Background and Texture Elements