In this course, you will :
- Discover how to use a combination of traditional and digital illustration techniques to create compelling portraits of people in meaningful settings.
- Investigate the art of storytelling with materials such as chalk pastels, collage techniques, and Photoshop's digital tools.
- Before gathering references for inspiration, get an overview of the course materials.
- Begin by sketching a few thumbnails to flesh out your idea, and then refine the best one into a detailed sketch.
- Dominic demonstrates how to carefully layer the pastels as you begin your portrait.
- Begin with the face and hands, then move on to the environment and the remaining elements of the collage.
- Learn how to scan your image and use Photoshop to make digital enhancements.
1. Preparation and Design Concepts
- Finding the Idea
- Visual Research
- The Fundamentals of Design: An Overview
- The Collage Process
2. Creating the Portrait
- Sketching Thumbnails
- Refining the Sketch
- Transfer and Color Selection
- Drawing the Face
- Drawing the Elements and Collaging the Environment
3. Digitalization and Expanding the Artwork
- Digital Edits to the Drawing
- Developing Your Image into a Series
- Sharing the Artwork