In this course, you will learn:
- Reveal the complexities of cultural assumptions.
- Recognize the cultural differences and legal difficulties that exist in East Asia.
- Learn about Confucian moral standards and how they relate to the law.
- Develop dispute resolution thinking skills.
1. Confucianism and Law
- Introduction with Prof. Kenjiro Tsuchida
- Confucianism and fundamentals Part 1
- Confucianism and fundamentals Part 2
- Tang and Qing China
- Confucian influence in Tokugawa Japan (1603-1867)
- Confucian jurisprudence in Yi Korea (1382-1910)
2. Apology and Wrongdoings
- Apology and legal effects
- Cultural particulars and apology
- Law and literature - Interview with Prof. Tetsuhito Motoyama
- Apology and corporate dispute resolution in Japan
- Apology and defamation in Korea
- Legal narrative in China
3. Legal Orientalism and Beyond
- Theoretical orientation
- Deconstructing Legal Orientalism - Interview with Prof.Takao Suami
- Chinese contract law - Interview with Prof. Hikota Koguchi
- Contract law in China
- Transfer pricing in Japan
- Inter-Korean Business