In this course, you will :
- With Katie's help, choose a topic for your narrative and identify the main themes. Then, as you experiment with which outlining process works best for you, create a productivity spreadsheet. Determine what research is required next.
- Learn how to create a productivity sheet to break down tasks into manageable milestones and assignments. Assess and carry out your research using this as a guide.
- Listen to Katie's advice on choosing subjects, crafting good questions, and selecting the best quotes from your interviews. She then walks you through the process of taking notes to writing your first draught.
- Edit and polish your draft as Katie shares editing techniques and the importance of sharing your work for feedback. Ensure all the final points of your spreadsheet are ticked off before ending the course with advice on best practices for pitching to, and working with, an editor.
1. Getting Started
- Nailing Down Your Idea
- The Outline
- Getting Down to Work: The Productivity Spreadsheet
2. Getting Down to Work
- Finalizing the Productivity Spreadsheet
- Assessing Your Research
- Finding Good Interview Bytes
- Writing the Story
3. Editing and Polishing
- The Big-Picture Edit: Getting Feedback and Moving Forward
- Working with an Editor
- To Learn More: A Conversation with the Editor