You will learn about the elements of a successful negotiation, such as problem solving and conflict resolution, in Introduction to Business Negotiations. This course includes a simulated business negotiation model that brings the deal inside the classroom to study its various aspects. The course serves as a foundational prerequisite for the second course in this Professional Certificate programme, Applied Business Negotiations, in which actual negotiations will take place in small teams of students representing each party through live exchanges. In this introductory online course, you will learn about the negotiation process, beginning with identifying each party's objectives and challenges and progressing to the skills and tactics of successful negotiation. Following that, you will consider how each party is motivated by the business context.
Finally, you will learn about the various transactional structures that can be used to achieve the goals of each party. You will also investigate the ethical, professional, political, and social issues that may arise during a business negotiation.
In this course, you will learn :
- The key elements of a successful negotiation
- The role of trust and rapport in successful negotiated agreements
- How to identify, assess and achieve client objectives in a negotiation
- How to handle unexpected developments in a business negotiation, such as conflicting objectives, cultural differences, and impasses
- The role of political considerations in business negotiations
- How well you are performing at each stage of the negotiation process, using scheduled assessments and debriefing sessions