In this course, you will learn:
- How to quickly capture the atmosphere and mood of a landscape like an artist, and take the next step from sketching at home to sketching outside.
- This course includes an introduction to the materials you'll need to draw outdoors, as well as 7 practical principles to creating successful landscape sketches, combining drawing theory, on-location drawing demonstrations, and studio-based drawing tutorials.
- Author Will Kemp, the founder of the Will Kemp Art School, shows how to capture, compose, and balance the scene in front of you and take your ideas back to the studio for further refinement.
- What makes an attractive picture
1. Introduction to Materials
- Facing the fear of sketching outdoors
- Sketchpads and paper
- Pencils, pens, and watercolors
2. Landscape Sketching Foundations
- What makes an attractive picture?
- Proportion and scale
- Light and shadow
- Perspective and changing viewpoints
- How to frame your view and focal point
3. The Basics of Landscape Sketching
- A flat drawing
- A drawing with depth
4. How to Get the Most Out of Your Sketchbook
- What are you going to use your sketches for?
- A sketch with a painting in mind
- From sketch to studio
5. Capturing Changing Conditions
- Sky and clouds
- Water and reflections
6. How to Draw Elements of the Landscape
- Houses and buildings in the landscape
- Rocks and mountains
- Trees and foliage
7. Creating Mood and Atmosphere
- Tonal paper
- Pen and wash
- Watercolor markers