In this course, you will :
This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts.
After completing the course, you will be able to:
1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language;
2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading;
3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading;
4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching;
5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and
6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom.