In this course, you will learn :
- This course will teach you how to write good persuasive essays in English at the university level, as well as how to improve your critical thinking, argument reasoning, and use of external sources when writing in English. Meeting the high standard expected for academic writing in English can be difficult for many ESL students around the world. Because writing is a necessary skill in all disciplines and one of the primary methods of assessment at university, these obstacles can have a negative impact on student learning progress.
- This course will teach you the fundamentals of good academic writing in English.
- You will have the opportunity to practise your English writing skills and gain knowledge of argumentative essay structure and composition.
- You will also learn how to write critically and analytically by employing evidence, argument reasoning, analysis, and evaluation.
- You will learn how to use external evidence in your English essay writing and how to search for primary and secondary resources as you improve and evaluate your own work as well as the work of others.
- The course's final steps will teach you how to correctly format academic essays in English and present your document. The course is designed and taught using insights from the UCL Knowledge Lab and UCL Arena Centre. As an ESL learner, you will be supported to share your experiences and resources in an open and collaborative environment.
1. The nature of academic writing and argumentative essays
- The nature of academic writing to university students.
- Essay structure.
- Composition skills.
2. Critical thinking and usage of evidence
- Argument reasoning, analysis and evaluation.
- Supporting evidence.
- Critical reflection.
3. Using external resources
- Searching for evidence: primary and secondary resources.
- Documentation and formatting.