Nutrition and Lifestyle in Pregnancy provides an overview of the most recent research findings and international recommendations on a wide range of nutrition-related aspects and pregnancy outcomes. One of the best ways to support the healthy growth and development of the unborn child is to maintain a healthy nutritional status and lifestyle before and during pregnancy. We will look at how a healthy diet and lifestyle should ideally be achieved prior to conception and make recommendations for women seeking pre-conception counselling.
We will also look at nutrient recommendations for a healthy pregnancy in order to ensure optimal maternal and foetal outcomes, as well as the most common nutrition-related pregnancy complications, obesity and gestational diabetes.
The learner will be able to delve into the cutting-edge world of epigenetic and metabolomic research and appreciate the significant role that these programming effects play in long-term health and disease outcomes.
Finally, we provide real-life, everyday scenarios and questions from pregnant women to assist healthcare professionals in providing nutrition-based counselling to pregnant women and their families.
1. Unit 1 - A Healthy Pregnancy Starts Before Conception
- Course Introduction: Nutrition and Lifestyle in Pregnancy
- Introduction: A Healthy Pregnancy Starts Before Conception
- Body Weight: Preparing For Pregnancy
- Folic Acid: Preparing for Pregnancy
2. Unit 2 - Nutrition and Lifestyle for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Introduction: Nutrition and Lifestyle for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Physiological Adaptations of Pregnancy
- Metabolic Adaptations of Pregnancy
- Nutrition in Pregnancy: Macronutrients
- Nutrition in Pregnancy: Micronutrients
- Expert Statement Prof Przyrembel: Regulation of Food Supplements
- Nutritional Restrictions During Pregnancy
- Avoidance of Food-Bourne Illnesses
3. Unit 3 - Nutrition-Related Pregnancy Outcomes
- Introduction: Nutrition-Related Pregnancy Outcomes
- Obesity: Management During Pregnancy
- Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: Management During Pregnancy
- Early Nutritional Programming: Is Epigenetics the Key?
- The Biochemistry of Your Body From a Drop of Blood
4. Unit 4 - Practical Advice for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Introduction: Practical Advice for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Why Pregnant Women Should be Eating Fish
- Physical Activity Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy
- Planning for Infant Feeding
- Nutrition in Pregnancy: Fact or Fiction?