Nanotechnology and nanosensors are multidisciplinary fields that include (bio)chemistry, physics, biology, materials science, electrical engineering, and other disciplines. The current course will provide an overview of some of the fundamental principles underlying nanotechnology and nanomaterials, as well as their critical role in novel sensing properties and applications. The course will cover fascinating interdisciplinary scientific and engineering knowledge at the nanoscale in order to comprehend fundamental physical differences in nanosensors. Students will understand the fabrication, characterization, and manipulation of nanomaterials and nanosensors, as well as how they can be used in new applications, by the end of the course. In this course, students will also apply their knowledge of nanotechnology and nanosensors to a topic of personal interest.
The course is designed to help students understand:
- The importance of nanoscale materials for sensing applications.
- Approaches used for characterizing sensors based nanomaterials.
- Approaches used for tailoring nanomaterials for a specific sensing application.
- Metallic and semiconductor nanoparticles.
- Organic and inorganic nanotubes and nanowires.
- Optical, mechanical and chemical sensors based on nanomaterials.
- Hybrid nanomaterial-based sensors.
1. Introduction to Nanotechnology
- Definitions and Nanomaterials15m
- Nanostructures: 0-D and 1-D9m
- Nanostructures: 2-D and 3-D8m
- Characterization Tools for Nanotechnology
- Fabrication in the Nano-scale–Top Down Fabrication
- Fabrication of Nano-scale Structures and Devices – Bottom Up Fabrication
2. Introduction to Sensors’ Science and Technology
- Human Senses
- Components and Classification of Sensors
- Parameters for Sensors Characterization
- Introduction to Sensors Array (or Electronic Noise)
3. Metal Nanoparticles-based Sensors
- Introduction to Basic properties of Nanoparticles
- Synthesis of Nanoparticles
- Sensors based on Nanoparticles for Detection of DNA and Biomolecules
- Chemi-Resistors based on Nanoparticles
- Medical and Biological Applications of Gold Nanoparticles
4. Quantum Dots Sensor
- Definition and Properties of Quantum Dots
- Synthesis of Quantum Dots
- Sensing and Imaging Application with Quantum Dots