This course focuses on strategy. Although there is no one-size-fits-all influencer marketing strategy template, you will learn how to tailor one for a wide range of B2B, B2C, and nonprofit organisations by employing the two-step flow model of communication.
1. Influencer Marketing Strategy
- Avinash Kaushik points out an ugly truth
- Creating remarkable content is critical
- Interest in influencer marketing is spiking
- Definition of influencer marketing; “Influencer marketing is the next big thing”
- What is the value of influencer marketing?; How do you improve the odds of success?
- Challenges when engaging influencers
- Fewer journalists are the right influencers; Identifying the right influencers is hard
- Some engagement tactics may not work; Some engagement tactics only work once
- Measurement is key to bigger budgets; Measure key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Can influencer marketing be automated?5m
- Measuring ROI vs. ROMI
- Tracking influence vs. custom campaigns; Influencer discovery vs. identification
- Vetting influencers vs. letting go of control; Can influencer marketing be automated?
2. Content Marketing Strategy
- The hypodermic needle model
- Model ignored the role of influencers; 1940 study of social influence; The 2-step flow model; Influencers must look over their shoulders
- Creating content worth sharing is the key; Creating content worth sharing for NACA; Created a compelling documentary; Influencers got a link to the documentary; NACA got 360,000 participants in 8 cities
- Video content is more influential than text; Emotional ads drive business results
- Which emotions did people feel?; Did the ads make people smile?; Did the ads change people’s hearts and minds?; and Did the ads made the cash register ring?
- Creating compelling content with influencers; Influencers are more influential than brands; Best practices for influencer collaboration
- Influencers tell GE’s story in their own voices; The Slow Mo Guys break down GE science; Creator-in-Residence demystifies geeky topics; Sponsored video content; GE is now sponsoring 150 social videos
- Artist created paper airplane with GE engines; GE is creating and sponsoring video content
3. How To Find Influencers.
- How to identify the right influencers; Don’t become the tool of your tools
- Use BuzzSumo to find the most shared content; It also shows you what isn’t being shared; Find influencers with topic in their Twitter bios; See what content an influencer shares
- BuzzSumo analyzed 100 million headlines; Expert reflections and advice; How to write engaging B2B headlines
- Expert reflections on the research
- Learning objective: Diagram Traackr’s methodology for identifying social media influencers in a topic area
- Identifying influencers for Recipe.com; We used Traackr to find and rank influencers
- Keywords defined relevant conversations
- Keywords defined relevant conversations; Traackr identified top 50 recipe influencers
- Traackr showed relevant posts on topic; “Dessert recipes” top trending keyword
- We invited top influencers to a webinar; Page views grew 500% to 30.6 million a month; Facebook referrals up 59%, Pinterest up 180%
- DealMaker tracks sponsored content globally; Every brand must have an influencer strategy; Influencers dominate social video ecosystem
- Is your goal to drive views or engagement?; Tubular’s 5 principles of influencer marketing
- Jungle Creations is a digital media company; Jungle Creations creates content for brands; Performance of organic Oreo content; Performance of sponsored Oreo content; DealMaker helped Twisted win a big deal
4. How To Engage Influencers.
- Finding the right engagement tactics is hard; Find sponsorship opportunities for Celebrities
- Create value for an Authority’s community; Help Connectors grow their networks; Help Personal Brands build their reputation; Provide an Analyst with new data and insights
- Provide an Activist with access
- Bring Experts in for their advice; Engage an Insider in a healthy debate
- Boost Journalist’s readership with a juicy story
- “Schmooze optimization” is a process
- “Do you have any video?”
- “Best PR pitch so far this year”; The optimized schmoozing of “Johnny X”7m
- “It is going to be kinda big”
- New way to use boosted posts on Facebook
- Engaging influential bloggers for Parents; We shared photography tips a second time; We also thanked 7 influential mom blogs; Parents got 129,155 potential subscribers
- Traditional influencer marketing campaigns; “Always-on” influencer relations programs; What business challenge did Orange face?; Leverage influencers to launch a new product;Segmented audience into 4 communities
- Influencer relations plus influencer marketing; Marketing & Communication influencers; Lifestyle & Design influencers; High Tech and Connected Home influencers; Performance of influencer relations program
5. How To Measure Influencer Marketing.
- If brand awareness is a goal, then measure it; Gross rating points (GRPs) are bogus metrics
- Advertising value equivalency (AVE) is bogus
- Brand lift is one of the right KPIs to use
- Brita saw a 36% lift in brand favorability; Google Surveys can also measure brand lift; Meredith saw a 33.8% lift in brand interest
- How should you measure engagement?
- Applause rate; Conversation rate; Amplification rate
- TrueSocialMetrics was inspired by Avinash; TrueSocialMetrics has competitive analytics
- Best social media metric: Economic value; Connect Google Analytics to TrueSocialMetrics; Select goals from a template; Set the goal value
- Find your most effective social networks; Use Campaign URL Builder for tracking
- Find your most effective influencer post
- Apply what you have learned to write a 5-paragraph essay that evaluates a range of key performance indicators for measuring influencer marketing
6. Influencer Campaigns.
- What’s the return on marketing investment?; How to calculate the ROMI of Kim’s #ad
- Measuring performance for Rutgers; Gave influential blog strategic insights; Gave journalist story in advance; Optimized and distributed a press release; Used ROMI to measure program; Calculate the return on marketing investment (ROMI) of an influencer program
- Develop the business case for launching a series of influencer marketing campaigns; the secret formula for success; Build your budget from the bottom up; Agencies charge more for the same person
- Turn influencer marketing into a profit center; Finding the right micro-influencers is also key; PiperSport case study
- Influencer marketing strategist; Team included a social media content creator; PiperSport unveiled on Jan. 21, 2010; PiperSport video got 132,241 views; 12,782 people liked PiperSport fan page
- PiperSport Twitter feed got 758 followers; Influencer was briefed on the first online order; 15 online orders for a $140,000 product; Piper Aircraft got ROMI of 9.
- This is a “be careful what you wish for” story; Develop the business case for launching a series of influencer marketing campaigns that lays the foundation for building an “always-on” influencer relations program
- Guy Kawasaki’s 10/20/30 rule;
- Learning objectives vs. purposes of pitch; Influencer Marketing Strategy; Problem/opportunity; Value proposition; Underlying magic; Business model
- Go-to-market plan; Competitive analysis; Influencer marketing team; Projections and milestones; Status and timeline; Summary and call to action