What you will accomplish :
You will design, build, and publish a basic website that includes text, sound, images, hyperlinks, plug-ins, and social media interactivity in this project-based course*. We'll give you step-by-step instructions, exercises, tips, and tools to help you set up a domain name, create an appealing layout for your pages, properly organise your content, ensure that your site works well across different operating systems and on mobile devices, keep your site safe, and finally, let people know your site is online. We'll even demonstrate how to track your visitors. Throughout the course, you will collaborate and discuss with other students via course forums and peer review.
To get started, you'll need the following :
This project-based course is intended for students with little or no prior experience developing websites. You'll need a computer with an active Internet connection. We'll get you started with Wordpress, provide lots of downloadable examples, and walk you through the process of giving and receiving constructive peer-to-peer feedback.
1. Module 1: Prepping Your Site
- In Module 1 you will learn the mechanics of the internet, and start planning your own site. You'll articulate a purpose for your design and pick fonts and a color scheme to match. We won't use Wordpress yet; next module you will learn how to create your vision on the web.
2. Module 2: Starting to work with Wordpress
- Module 2 contains the bulk of the work for this course. In this module you'll create an outline for your site, set up Wordpress, choose a theme and publish your first page. Then we'll show you how to add links to other pages on the internet.
3. (A) Module 3: Add Media, Social Media and Launch
- In Module 3 you'll add media such as images, videos and sound to your site. You'll also learn how to incorporate social media. Once you're happy with your site, you'll test it on mobile platforms and multiple browsers before you go public and start counting the visitors to your site.
(B) Module 4: Go Deeper with Further Customization
- Introduction to Module 4
- Principles of Good Web Design, Part I (Guest Lecture: Melody Kim, Coursera)
- Principles of Good Web Design, Part II (Guest Lecture: Melody Kim, Coursera)
- How to Use Your Web Browser to Inspect Website Elements (Guest Lecture: Archana Sankaranarayanan, Coursera)
- Using Browser Extensions to Learn About Font and Color (Guest Lecture: Archana Sankaranarayanan, Coursera)
- Font Color, Size and Family (Guest Lecture: Joel Aguero, Coursera)
- Color on the Web (Guest Lecture: Joel Aguero, Coursera)
- Images on the Web (Guest Lecture: Joel Aguero, Coursera)