In this course, you will learn:
- Whether you're actively looking for a new job, or you just want to keep your coding skills sharp, it's important to refresh your understanding of the kinds of front-end and full-stack developer code that potential employers value. In this series, the senior staff author explores essential coding skills that every developer should have in their toolkit. In addition to taking you through a series of brief, practical exercises, this course includes interviews with hiring managers and industry professionals that can help demystify the interview process for web developers, and provide you with examples of how others in the field have navigated their careers.
- What you should know
- Using the exercises for this course
- How do you use the data- attribute in HTML?
- Are you comfortable using jQuery?
- Describe when you should use the bind() method
- Do you know how to use the conditional operator?
- Have you used AJAX to load an external file?
- How do you manipulate the DOM?
- How do you search using functional programming?
- How do you use a constructor to create instances?
- How do you use arrow functions in ES6?
- How do you use the Fetch API?
- How do your render JSON to a DOM element?
- How does an IIFE work?
- Quick Concepts: Do you have experience linting your code?
- What are event bubbling and propagation about?
- What does "use strict" do?
- What is a callback and how do you use it?
- What is the relationship between promises and callbacks?
- What is the virtual DOM?
- What is variable hoisting and how do you guard against it?
- What tooling options have you used in the past?
- When would you use recursion?
- Can you build a Sass mixin?
- Do you know how to use CSS variables?
- Animate an underline on hover in CSS
- Explain the difference between absolute and relative positioning
- How comfortable are you with Sass?
- How do you animate CSS?
- How do you debug CSS using your browser?
- How do you use calc() in CSS?
- How would you use flexbox to control horizontal alignment?
- In CSS, what's the difference between ems and rems?
- What's the difference between a pseudo class and a pseudo element?
- Do you know how to use npm?
- Do you have experience using version control?
- How does routing work in a modern web application?
- Create a practical example of closures
- Show me how to use the map function
3. Interviews with Working Professionals
- What questions are asked in developer interviews? with John Riviello
- How do you manage your career? Interview with Chris Coyier
- How do I figure out what to learn? with Kevin Skoglund
- What's the hiring process like when hiring for a team? With Justin Yost
- What experience do you need to work at top companies? Interview with Adam Geitgey
- Should a developer consider freelancing? with Carrie Dills
- Staying motivated, with Raymond Camden