In this course, you will learn:
- fundamental concepts of critical thinking (logic, argument analysis, rhetoric, reasoning with probabilities, the importance of background knowledge, etc.).
- the importance of critical thinking for personal development, participation in democratic society, and the pursuit of wisdom.
- the role that critical thinking principles play in good essay writing.
- how cognitive biases make us prone to errors in how we form beliefs and make judgments.
- how our tribal psychology and political polarization affect our ability to think critically.
- how debates in science often turn on the meanings of key terms, like "theory", "fact", "hypothesis" and "law".