In this course, you will :
- Learn about the tools required to create professional book cover designs.
- Learn how to simplify information into a simple brief and how to create a mood board to explore your initial ideas.
- Create rough sketches with thumbnails, then begin refining them in Photoshop.
- Recognize the significance of sharing your initial sketches for feedback before deciding on a design to develop into your final cover.
- Learn how to return your design to paper. Then, in watercolour, paint your finished illustrations, beginning with a loose wash and building up depth from light to dark. When your painting is completely dry, scan it into Photoshop and learn how to create layers for editing.
- Explore texture library to learn how to use different materials to add dimension to your cover.
1. Creating Reference Material, Exploring Visual Ideas and Generating Roughs
- Presentation of Materials
- Choosing Your Book and Creating Simple Reference Materials
- Thumbnail Sketches and The Power of Composition
- Developing the Strongest Thumbnails into Initial Roughs I
- Developing the Strongest Thumbnails into Initial Roughs II
- Creating Full Jacket Roughs
2. Creating the Final Artwork
- Watercolour Painting
- Separating the Painting into Individual Layers
- Scanning Into Photoshop
- Transferring and Drawing Out the Final Illustration
3. Editing the Final Book Jacket
- Tracing the Type and Final Graphic Design Tweaks
- Finishing Touches
- Bringing in Found and Handmade Textures
- Adding Colour Using the Selective Colour Tool
4. Showing Off Your Cover in Your Portfolio
- Sharing Your Cover Online
- Bringing Your Book Cover to Life with Mock-up Templates