In this course, you will :
- This course will walk you through the fundamentals of professional journalism as well as the news values and ethics involved in covering real-world issues and events.
- The overview and examples of news coverage help to introduce the various types of journalism, such as social media, multimedia, print, visual, and broadcast, as well as how professional journalists effectively use each format.
1. Welcome to the Michigan State School of Journalism!
- This is the world of journalism
- The Michigan State School of Journalism
- Meet your School of Journalism faculty
- This is Michigan State University
2. Earning and keeping trust
- The Power of Credibility
- The importance of accuracy
- Finding balance in a world that tilts
- Transparency and dealing with mistakes
- Is seeing believing?
- Sensationalism in journalism
- What is propaganda?
3. Connecting with audiences and communities
- News Elements & Values
- First things first: your lead
- Point-of-view journalism
4. Forms of journalism and their purposes
- Local news
- National and international news
- Science and environmental news
- Opinion writing
5. Journalism happens in interesting ways
- A 2-minute history of journalism
- Engaging online audiences
- Crowdsourcing in journalism
- Social Media Tools for Journalists
- Doing social media journalism