In this course, you will learn:
- Evolutionary fundamentals
- Life's diversity is acknowledged.
- Classification methods for organisms
- Knowledge of extremophiles at a basic level
- Principles that govern the stability of proteins
1: Evolution and the Diversity of Life
- Evolution is a result of diversification and selection
- How can we classify life?
- Phylogenetic analysis
- The three domains of life
2: Life in Boiling Water
- Extreme environments
- More hyperthermophiles
- Thermostable proteins from hyperthermophiles
3: Diversity of Extremophiles
- Preparing for a hot reaction
- Watching a hot reaction
- More extremophiles
4: Genome Sequences
- What they tell us
- How can we use them?
- Using the genome to find new metabolic pathways | Part 1 and Part 2
- Diversity of the microbial world