How should we manage the sharing economy in our cities? This course connects the sharing economy, cities, governance, and urban sustainability to provide students with unique knowledge and insights into sharing cities. To bring this course to life, we use a variety of leading examples of the emerging sharing economy in cities.
By facilitating and applying the sharing economy in urban contexts, sharing cities can unlock new opportunities and solve urban challenges, and the sharing economy can contribute to social, environmental, and economic sustainability. However, it is critical that the sharing economy be shaped and designed in order to advance urban sustainability.
This course was developed by Sharing Cities Sweden, a national programme for the sharing economy in Swedish cities. It seeks to establish Sweden as a country that actively and critically engages with sharing cities. It brings together the most influential thinkers and practitioners from government, business, academia, and civil society.
Cities Collaborating Sweden is creating world-class sharing economy test-beds in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, and Ume, as well as coordinating a national node to significantly improve national and international cooperation on sharing cities. The overarching goal is to create cities and urban areas that are sustainable, resilient, and prosperous.
This course covers a wide range of knowledge and experiences in order to present and explore sharing cities in a comprehensive manner, using examples from Sweden, Europe, and around the world. In this course, we combine films and concise readings on city sharing with interactive forums and practical assignments to form an online learning community!
1. Week 1 – Sharing Cities: Governing and Regulating
- Sharing Cities Sweden – A National Program for the Sharing Economy in Cities (Kes McCormick)
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities – Introduction (Yuliya Voytenko)
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities – Regulating (Yuliya Voytenko)
- Sharing Cities (Harmen van Sprang)
- Sharing is the new owning – part 1
2. Week 2 – Sharing Cities: Leading and Visioning
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities –Self-governing (Yuliya Voytenko)
- Test-bed Stockholm (Örjan Svane)
- Sharing Practices - The Smart Map
- Sharing is the new owning – part 2
3. Week 3 – Sharing Cities: Providing and Evaluating
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities – Providing (Yuliya Voytenko)
- Test-bed Umeå (Siahrei Manzhynski)
- Sharing Practices – The Toy Library
- Sharing is the new owning – part 3
4. Week 4 – Sharing Cities: Enabling and Engaging
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities – Enabling (Yuliya Voytenko)
- Test-bed Gothenburg (Tove Lund)
- Sharing Practices – Meet the Locals
- Sharing is the new owning – part 4
5. Week 5 – Sharing Cities: Collaborating and Innovating
- The Role of Municipalities in Sharing Cities – Collaborating (Yuliya Voytenko)
- Test-bed Malmö (Oscar Pelin)
- Sharing Practices – Library for Sport
- Sharing is the new owning – part 5