In this course, you will :
- helps you improve your skills by teaching you how to avoid mistakes First, John introduces you to a few Power BI challenges.
- shows you how to become a systems thinker, improve your analysis skills, and effectively use visualisation
- He emphasises the importance of gathering the appropriate amount of data, eliminating unnecessary steps, profiling your data sources, and removing unnecessary data.
- demonstrates the use of lookup tables and a star schema. Then he discusses why you should avoid two-way relationships when modelling and what you should instead do.
- creates visualisations from time series data and demonstrates how to use groups, slicers, and custom tooltips effectively
- walks you through performing a Top-N analysis and then explains how to use the appropriate amount of colour.
1. Next-Level Power BI
- Main challenges of Power BI?
- Systems thinking vs. ad hoc analysis
- Being an effective analyst
- Keys to effective data visualization
2. Connecting to Data
- Don't pull in too much data
- Eliminate extra applied steps
- Remember to profile your data sources
- Remove unnecessary rows and columns
3. Modeling Data
- Create a lookup table
- Use star schema
- Eliminate two-way relationships
- Apply user-friendly value replacements
- Define the right level of granularity
4. Visualizing and Analyzing Data
- Visualizing time-series data
- Use groups to break up the analysis
- Use slicers to improve usability
- Use a custom tooltip to add detail
- Be careful with pie charts
- When to use Top-N analysis
- The full potential of visualizations
- Use color sparingly