In this course, you will learn :
- Understand the differences between binary, hexadecimal, and other number systems, as well as how to convert between them.
- Carry out binary arithmetic
- Recognize fixed point notation
- Discover how the floating point representation works.
- Learn the fundamentals of computer storage.
- Learn how to represent and manipulate positive, negative, and fractional numbers in binary, as well as how to store and represent numbers in computers.
1. Essential Number Systems
- Introduction to Number Systems and the Decimal System
- Introduction to the Binary System
- Binary Conversions
- Introduction to the Hexadecimal System
- Conversions between Hexadecimal and Binary
- Introduction to the Octal System
- N-Base Number System
- Exercise: Create Your Own Number System
2. Some Binary Operations
- Addition and Subtraction in Binary
- Shift Operations
- Multiplication in Binary
- Division in Binary
3. Signed Binary Numbers
- Sign Magnitude
- One's Complement
- Two's Complement
- Arithmetic with Signed Numbers
- Multiplication With Signed Numbers
- Division with Signed Numbers
4. Representing Numbers With Fractional Parts
- Fixed Point Notation
- Why Do We Need Floating Point Numbers?
- Floating Point Representation
- Floating Point Conversions
- Addition and Subtraction of Floating Points
- Multiplication and Division of Floating Points
- Floating Point Properties
- IEEE 754 Floating Point Standard
5. Representation in a Computer
- Bits and Bytes
- What Is Memory?