This 3.5-hour course will examine CVE in depth as a relatively new area of policy and practise. As such, this MOOC can be used to raise awareness among those interested in terrorism, community resilience, security, policy, and/or civil rights issues. There are no prerequisites for this course, which is broadly interdisciplinary. Students who complete this course will be able to:
1. Differentiate between two concepts to combating violent extremism: counterterrorism (CT) and countering violent extremism (CVE).
2. Describe the CVE spectrum of nonviolent counter-terrorism approaches, including prevention, intervention, and rehabilitation/reintegration programmes.
3. Make informed analytical decisions about CVE programmes and their potential.
- Upon completion of this module, students will be able to describe the purpose of the course and the course structure.
2. MODULE 1
- Discussion of Violent Extremism
- Lesson 2: Theories and Mechanisms of Radicalization
- Lesson 3: Profiles of Radicalization in the United States
- Lesson 4: Prison Radicalization
- Lesson 5: Radicalization Push-Pull Factors
3. MODULE 2
- Lesson 1: The Promise and Challenges of CVE
- Lesson 2: The Spectrum of Efforts
- Lesson 3: CVE Taxonomy
- Lesson 4: What Makes Community Members Willing to Engage with Law Enforcement
- Lesson 5: The Role of Mental Health Professionals
- Lesson 6: The Role of Former Violent Extremists in CVE
- Lesson 7: The Role of Communities and Bystanders
- Lesson 8: Overcoming Resistance to CVE
4. MODULE 3
- Lesson 1: DOVE Model
- Lesson 2: CVE Programs Around the World- The Muslim Public Council's Safe Spaces
- Lesson 3: CVE Programs Around the World- Exit USA
- Lesson 4: CVE Programs Around the World- Peer To Peer
- Lesson 5: CVE Programs Around the World- Trans-Sahara Counterterrorism Partnership in Mali
- Lesson 6: CVE Programs Around the World- Singapore's Religious Rehabilitation Group
- Lesson 7: CVE Programs Around the World- Disarmament, Demobilization, and Reintegration of FARC
- Lesson 8: CVE Programs Around the World- Deradicalization of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam
- Lesson 9: CVE Programs Around the World- Saudi Arabia's Prevention, Rehabilitation, and Aftercare Program