In this course, you will learn:
Bioethics' fundamental terms.
The fundamentals of ethical debate.
The process via which key bioethics choices are made.
Regulations and public policies in Japan and other countries concerning bioethical problems.
1. Ethics of Assisted Reproductive Technology
- What is Assisted Reproductive Technology?
- Sex Selection
- Pros & Cons of Sex Selection
- Ethical Issues Associated with Assisted Reproductive Technology
2. The Ethics of Truth-Telling
- Cancer and Its Disclosure in Japan
- Pros & Cons of Cancer Disclosure
- Paternalism & Self-Determination
- Informed Consent & Patient-Centered Medicine
3. Is Abortion Murder?
- Current Situation of Abortion in Japan
- Ethical Discussions in Japan
- Ethical Discussions in Europe & America
- Social Problems Related to Abortion
4. What’s wrong with Enhancement?
- Use of Medical Technologies for Enhancement
- The Ethical Pros and Cons of Enhancement – The Anti-Use Position
- The Ethical Pros and Cons of Enhancement – Where Are Enhancement Technologies Heading?
5. Is Euthanasia Wrong?
- Euthanasia and Death with Dignity
- Japanese Cases of Euthanasia
- For and Against Euthanasia
- Palliative Medicine
- Living Wills
6. Living-Donor Organ Transplantation
- Organ Transplantation
- The History of Organ Transplantation
- Living-Donor Organ Transplantation and Ethical Problems
- Organ Trafficking
- Living-Donor Organ Transplants: Exception or the Rule?
7. Cloning Technology
- Media Reports on the Birth of Dolly the Cloned Sheep and “the Birth of a Human Clone”
- Two Purposes of Cloning and Ethical Controversy
- Regulation of Human Cloning
- Discussion with the Instructor – Part 1
8. ES Cells and iPS Cells
- Production of ES Cells and Regenerative Medicine
- Barriers to ES Cell Production
- The Production of iPS Cells
- Problems of iPS Cells
9. Lifespan and Eternal Life
- Human Lifespan in the Past, Present, and Future
- Effects of Life-Extension Technologies on the Individual
- Effects of Life-Extension Technologies on Society
- Discussion with the Instructor – Part 2
10. Brain Death and Organ Transplants
- The Organ Transplant Law and its Revision in Japan
- The Process of Organ Donation
- Ethical Controversy over Brain Death 1
- Ethical Controversy over Brain Death 2