In this course, you will :
- Demonstrates how to find your rhythm by moving, clapping, and making music with household objects.
- Sheila introduces you to the drum set and demonstrates three important warm-ups, or rudiments: singles, doubles, and paradiddles.
- Sheila breaks down intermediate and advanced drumming techniques for various musical genres.
- Learn about timekeeping, the relationship between the drums and bass, and how to dynamically drive a song with a band.
- Your drum solo can reveal a lot about your abilities as a drummer. Sheila explains when to go solo, when to improvise, and when to hold back.
- Discusses what it takes to be a great bandleader and demonstrates the importance of band preparation, rehearsal, and communication. Watch as she leads her band in a jam session.
- Discusses the significance of conditioning your body as a drummer and how it can help you perform better. Sheila's pre-show rituals will also be revealed.
- Sheila applies what she's learned so far by identifying key drum sections from one of her collaborations with Prince, "A Love Bizarre."
- Shares personal stories and lessons learned while working with Prince.
- Sheila's musical journey began with congas. From basic setup and sounds to soloing and playing with a band, learn the fundamentals of playing this Latin percussion instrument.
- Sheila was one of the first popular musicians to front a band on the timbales. Sheila demonstrates how to play timbales as a solo artist or in a band, from stick grip techniques to playing on cowbells.
- Walks you through her custom kit and encourages you to be creative and have fun in order to create a kit that fits your budget and style.
- Finding Your Rhythm
- Getting Started on the Drums
- Learning Drum Beats
- Playing Drums in a Band
- Solos and Fills
- Growing as a Bandleader
- Training and Conditioning
- "A Love Bizarre" Case Study
- Collaborating With Prince
- Advice for Musicians
- Playing the Congas
- Playing the Timbales
- Experimenting With Percussion
- Welcome to the Family