Students will work on a real-world project in the capstone that will require them to apply skills from the entire data science pipeline: preparing, organising, and transforming data, building a model, and evaluating results. Each Capstone project is associated with partner stakeholders who have a vested interest in your results and are eager to put them into practise as a result of a collaboration with Coursolve. These projects will not be simple, and the outcome will not be predetermined; you must be willing to accept ambiguity and negative outcomes! However, we believe that the experience will be rewarding and will better prepare you for actual data science projects.
1. Project A: Blight Fight
- Get the Data
- Understand the Domain
2. Week 2: Derive a list of buildings
- You are given sets of incidents with location information; you need to use some assumptions to group these incidents by location to identify specific buildings.
3. Week 3: Construct a training dataset
- Construct a training set by associating each of your buildings with a ground truth label derived from the permit data.
4. Week 4: Train and evaluate a simple model
- Use a trivial feature set to train and evaluate a simple model
5. Week 5: Feature Engineering
- Derive additional features and retrain to improve the efficacy of your model.
6. Week 6: Final Report
- Enter your final report for grading.