Do you want to get the most out of your students and assessments as a higher education teacher? Then, on behalf of Risbo, Erasmus University Rotterdam, we'd like to extend a warm welcome to this MOOC on Assessment in Higher Education. In this MOOC, we will walk you through the various stages of preparing, creating, and evaluating assessments for your course.
Following completion of this MOOC, you will be able to :
- Create an assessment that is constructively aligned (content, level, methods) with the course objectives and activities.
- Use the quality criteria for validity, reliability, and transparency in the development of assessments and assessment items.
- Analyze the assessment output and results, evaluate the assessment quality, and make appropriate decisions about students' grades.
- Create a plan for future enhancements for an evaluation.
1. The role of assessment in higher education
- Why do we assess in higher education?
- What influence do grades have in assessment systems?
- How can assessment help in engaging students?
- Is the quality and reliability of our assessments robust enough to make high stake decisions?
- Is group assessment a desirable option in higher education?
- The usability of assessment: Using the utility formula to select a method of assessment
- The usability of assessment: A visualisation of the utility formula
- Animation on the assessment cycle
2. The Assessment Plan
- Introduction to the assessment plan
- Animation on constructive alignment
- Animation on how to write your own assessment plan
- Animation on how to create an assessment matrix
- How do students prepare for an assessment?
- Could students be involved in your assessments?
- Teachers and their preferences for methods of assessment
- Students and their preferences for methods of assessment
- What kind of methods do teachers use to assess students?
- Best practices according to teachers and students
- Students on easy assessments and time consuming assessments
- Experiences of teachers in how they select the methods of assessment for their courses
3. Feedback & grading design
- What is the role of feedback?
- What are rubrics and why would you use them?
- Holistic rubrics
- Analytic rubrics
- Single point rubrics
4. Assessment construction
- Introduction to assessment construction
- Teachers and their experiences with multiple choice and essay questions
- Multiple choice Q&A
- Introduction to constructing multiple choice questions
- How to construct the stem of a multiple choice question?
- How to construct the answer alternatives of a multiple choice question?
- Perspectives: Open ended questions Q&A
- How to construct open ended and essay questions?
- Perspectives: Group work Q&A
- How to construct group work?
5. Assessment Analysis and Evaluation
- Introduction to assessment analysis and evaluation
- How to make the most of peer reviews
- Assessment analysis
- Assessment evaluation and future improvements