Managers are increasingly confronted with questions of sustainability, accountability, and ethics. Managing responsibly is an integrative approach to sustainability, responsibility, and ethics that enables you to deal competently with such challenges as a manager. This course will help you learn how to change your practises to make them more sustainable, responsible, and ethically informed.
First, we will discuss the context of the trend toward responsible management practises (week 1). We then go over the fundamentals of each set of issues, such as sustainability (week 2), responsibility (week 3), and ethics (week 4). (week 4). In week 5, you will work on your own responsible management issue/task, as well as investigate responsible management practises in a professional interest area (e.g. strategy, entrepreneurship, innovation, organization, operations, supply chain, human resources, marketing and communication, international management, accounting and finance). In week 6, we will attempt to comprehend and experience what it means to manage responsibly in practise, including opportunities and challenges, with a focus on transformative change. During the last two weeks, you will work on a problem-solving project based on a difficult topic you have encountered in your own management practise.
During the course, we will form multicultural teams to learn about the issues you bring up. The course also facilitates the formation of peer networks, allowing you to continue your learning experience after the MOOC is completed. The MOOC is a collaborative effort with the UN-backed Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative.
1. Managing Responsibly
- On location: Introducing Oliver Laasch, Sally Randles, Frank Boons
- Introducing the key objectives and features of the course
- Fiona Devine, Head of Alliance Manchester Business School
- Interview with Jonas Haertle, Head of the PRME Secretariat
- Ghada Soliman (Teaching Support)
- Ema Johnson (Teaching Support)
- Week 1 Lecture: Managing Responsibly
- Week 1 Practitioner Interview: Rodrigo Morales
- Week 2 Introduction
- Week 2 Lecture: Ecological Sustainability
- Week 2 Practitioner Interview: Kene Umeasiegbu
- Week 3 Introduction
- Week 3 Lecture: Responsibility
- Week 3 Practitioner Interview 1: Lynn Prime
- Week 3 Practitioner Interview 2: Nick Bishop
- Week 3 Practitioner Interview 3: Rainer Breitling
- Week 4 Introduction
- Week 4 Lecture: Ethics Management
- Week 4 Practitioner Interview: Pia Poppenreiter
5. Professions and Occupations
- Week 5 Introduction (Part 1)
- Week 5 Introduction (Part 2)
- Week 5 Lecture: Functions, Professions and Competences
- Week 5 Practitioner Interview: Madeleine Cobb
6. Integration 'Bringing it all together'
- Week 6 Lecture: Bringing it all together - Using the practitioner interviews to draw thematic connections across the MOOC
- Week 6 Practitioner Interview 1: Mary Gentile
- Week 6 Practitioner Interview 2: Kosheek Sewchurran
- Week 6 Practitioner Interview 3: Ceyda Ozgun