In this course, you will learn :
- Dive into mosaic-making by learning about its history and experimenting with various techniques. The reverse onto paper technique, also known as the paper-face technique, will be used for your course project.
- Gary goes over the safety rules to follow when creating your mosaic before showing you how to work with cement and set up your workspace.
- Look for koi pond image references and choose the one that inspires you the most to create your mosaic.
- Gary walks you through the steps of creating a rough sketch of your design and offers advice on drawing water effects and creating depth with shadow and perspective.
- Then, discover how to complete your design by drawing it in full scale and colour.
- Learn how to use the andamento technique to lay your tesserae uniformly and harmoniously.
- Before applying the tesserae to your paper design, learn how to make a simple yet effective glue.
- See how to carefully cut the mosaic's various sections into manageable pieces.
- Learn how to make cement safely before assembling your mosaic pieces.
- Gary walks you through the process of carefully assembling and mounting your pieces on a board or tabletop with cement.
1. Preparing to Make Mosaics
- Tools and Materials of Mosaic Making for This Course
- Health and Safety in Mosaic Making
- The Techniques of Mosaic Making
2. Designing Your Mosaic
- Creating the Full-Scale Cartoon
- Creating the Small-Scale Design: Using Light and Shadow to Add Depth and Reality
- Design Ideas, Inspiration and Materials, and Checking the Dimensions
3. Making the Mosaic
- Tesserae Cutting
- Dividing the Mosaic
- Building Your Mosaic
- Making the Pasta Amido Glue
- Selecting Mosaic Tesserae
4. Fixing and Grouting the Mosaic
- Grouting Your Mosaic
- Fixing the Mosaic
- Preparing to Fix Your Mosaic and Mixing Cements