In this course, you will learn:
- The studio system's background.
- How to evaluate a movie.
- How Hollywood has reacted to technological advancements in the industry.
- The influence of international audiences on Hollywood.
- The connection between Hollywood and alternative media.
- How the entertainment industry has reacted to important political events.
- What does Hollywood's future hold?
- Before Hollywood
- The Birth of the Film
- Edison the Inventor
- Who, What, Where, Why
- The Trust and the Independents
- Piracy, Copyright, and the Ben-Hur Case
2. The Studio System
- The Birth of the Studio System
- The Star System
- The Genre System
- Meet Me in St. Louis and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- House Style: It All Comes Together
3. Sound and the Production Code
- The Challenges of New Technology
- Sound, Style, and King Kong
- King Kong
- The New Deal
- The Road to the Production Code
- The Production Code in Action
4. Hollywood at War
- FDR and Media
- Hollywood Gets Political
- Warners Bros. at War
- Wartime Government Agencies
5. The Blacklist and Cold War
- HUAC in Hollywood
- The Hollywood Ten and the Blacklist
- Cold War Genres 6.0 The New Hollywood
- Hollywood Auteurs and the Counterculture
- Big Media
6. Home Video and Indiewood
- Development of Home Video
- Indiewood 8.0 Digital Cinema and the Internet
- Special Effects and Computer Generated Images
- Hollywood’s Internet