In this course, you will learn:
- Being assertive is an important skill to master, especially for anyone who works in or aspires to a leadership role.
- Learn how to speak up and make your voice heard.
- This course is designed to empower people who struggle to assert themselves professionally or personally.
- Career expert Emilie Aries provides coaching on aspects such as assertive communication, body language, and tone. She also explains why it’s sometimes difficult to be assertive and provides tactics for overcoming your fears—and getting what you want out of work and life.
- Why being assertive matters
1. What Does It Mean to Be Assertive?
- Assertive versus aggressive
- Bandwagon bias: Why dissent is difficult
- The benefits of being assertive
- Being assertive as a woman
2. Assertive Communication
- Eliminate filler words
- Keep it concise
- Quit the qualifiers
- Ask assertive questions
- Intent, then content
3. Assertive Body Language
- Make assertive eye contact
- How to use your hands while speaking
- Take up space
4. How to Sound Like a Leader
- Avoid vocal fry and upspeak