In this course, you will :
- Provide a non-technical overview of where AI has come from and where it is headed
- We will see that there is no reason to expect AI to outperform humans. Instead, we are learning to create the illusion of intelligence with AI.
1. Illusions of Intelligence
- Some Curious Experiments
- Alan Turing and the Imitation Game
- Illusions of Intelligence
- The Explosion of Big Data
2. The Technology of Language
- The Chomskyan Revolution
- Descartes' Miracle
- The Fatal Flaw of the Chomskyan Revolution
- Doing Violence to Language: the Ngram
3. Will Computers Ever Understand Us?
- Can Computers Understand Us?
- Understanding and Meaning
- Deep Learning and Neural Machine Translation
- The Future
- Moore's Law Does Not Make the Singularity Likely
4. AI -- a New Kind of Being?
- We are not Computers
- “An Engine, the Parts of which are Men”
- From Gilligan's Island to Lost
- AI is the Improvement of Human Intelligence
- Re-wiring the Human Parts
- A New Kind of Being