In this course, we will examine the facts and myths surrounding obesity, as well as key physiological and psychological concepts relating to the brain's control of appetite and body weight. We'll look at the biological and environmental factors that make it easy to gain weight (and difficult to lose it!). Most importantly, we will allow you to reflect on your own knowledge and assumptions about the subject.
1. What we know, and how we know it.
- Rules of engagement
- Why is obesity a problem?
- What do we know about appetite and obesity?
2. Physiology and Stress
- The physiology of appetite
- Early-life experience
3. Psychology and Behaviour
- The psychology of appetite
- Economic approaches to obesity