What you will learn
- Describe the steps that need to be taken when setting up a breeding program.
- Describe how selection and genomic tools can be used to alleviate the effect of monogenic recessive diseases.
- Calculate family relationships and inbreeding coefficients in pedigrees and predict the rate of inbreeding for simple situations.
- Explain how family relationships between individuals can be used to estimate breeding values and describe the consequences of different selection and mating strategies for the response to selection.
- Describe how running breeding programs can be evaluated in terms of response to selection and genetic diversity.
- Describe how dissemination of improved animal populations to end-users takes place, and why this differs among animal species.
- Gain the tools and insights to improve production and work towards a healthy population