This course is the first in a series of classes that will demonstrate the power of computing in modern biology. Please join us on the cutting edge of bioinformatics to search for hidden messages in DNA without ever putting on a lab coat. We investigate DNA replication and ask, "Where does DNA replication begin in the genome?" We'll see that we can answer this question for many bacteria with just a few simple algorithms that look for hidden messages in the genome. When we ask which DNA patterns serve as molecular clocks, we are looking at a different biological question. The cells in your body manage to keep a circadian rhythm, but how does this happen at the DNA level? Once again, we will see that by knowing where to look for hidden messages, we can begin to understand the amazingly complex language of DNA. Surprisingly, we will use randomised algorithms to solve problems by rolling dice and flipping coins.
1. Finding Replication Origins
- Where in the Genome Does DNA Replication Begin?
2. Hunting for Regulatory Motifs
- From Implanted Patterns to Regulatory Motifs
3. How Rolling Dice Helps Us Find Regulatory Motifs
4. Bioinformatics Application Challenge