In this course, you will :
- With the rise of megacities, urbanisation has reached a new high in the modern world. Researchers use a variety of concepts to try to make sense of these massive urban areas.
- The class will go over debates and present social science models of cities in order to analyse and compare current developments.
- Help Center - General Overview With the rise of megacities, urbanisation has reached a new high in the modern world.
- Researchers use a variety of concepts to try to make sense of these massive urban areas.
- Ancient cities
- Words to qualify cities and the urban world
- A world of cities or a generalised urban world ?
- Models and urban sociology
2. European City
- Introduction to European city
- Municipal revolution and the fragile political autonomy
- The weberian model of the « Occidental city »
- Neo weberian model part 1
- Neo weberian model part 2
- The Los Angeles case study
3. Colonial City
- Imposing a universal European framework or looking for alternatives ?
- Inequality, segregation and the colonial political order part 1
- Inequality, segregation and the colonial political order part 2
- Features of colonial cities
- Legacy of colonisation, post colonial cities ? v1
4. Industrial City
- Industrial urbanisation and urban change
- Two waves of industrialization
- The making of the industrial city as a social structure
- Methods and variables of the marxist industrial agglomeration model
- centers of experiment for modern social life
- European capitals of the great nation states of the 19th century turn into metropolis
- Metropolis in the south
- The human ecology of cities and the US coming of age of urban sociology
- Competition and the development of the metropolis
6. Global City
- a globalising urban capitalist world
- Big cities with advanced economic functions ?
- Conclusion Global city
7. Post Metropolis
- Post metropolis and the criticism of models
- Conflictual cities, Contested cities, rejecting modernism, capitalism and the state
- Beyond modernism the cultural turn of urban studies
- Culture and entertainment are back in town, the city of visitors
8. Digital City
- Introduction to smart city
- Maps and networks
- Smart city model
- Sustainable city