We will debunk common misconceptions about the resources required to start acting as a social innovator. We will learn from the numerous examples of social innovations that are taking place around the world. You will be challenged to step outside of your comfort zone and begin interacting with the various spaces around you. By the end of the course, you will have developed your own approach to social innovation, as well as the concepts, mindset, skills, and relationships necessary to begin and evolve as a changemaker.
1. What's our problem?
- Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation
- What is Social Innovation?
- Simple, complicated and complex
- Wicked problems
- The 5 Whys
- Case study: Mothers2mothers
- Reflecting with RLabs: problems
2. What do we have to work with?
- Discovering resources
- Appreciative inquiry
- Case study: The Street Store
- Finding hidden resources
- Reflecting with RLabs: resources
3. Getting out of your comfort zone
- Bricolage: recombining ideas and people
- Thinking about difference
- Engaging difference
- Negotiating difference
- Reflecting with RLabs: comfort zones
4. Innovating by design
- Generating ideas
- Design thinking principles
- Design thinking steps
- Design thinking case studies
- Discussing design thinking
- Reflecting with RLabs: design in social innovation
5. Changing the system - who me?
- What's innovative about your ideas?
- Social innovation as system innovation
- Seeing system impact
- Deepening system impact
- Reflecting with RLabs: changing the system
6. What if it works?
- The evolving world of social innovation
- Organizing social innovation
- Financing social innovation
- Scaling social innovation
- Reflecting with RLabs: moving forward
- The journey ahead