In this course, you will learn :
- Discover the fundamentals of the Ruby programming language.
- You will write Ruby code to solve a specific programming problem.
- See how simple Ruby constructs like conditionals and loops have their own unique flavour.
- Then you'll get to work with the most common Ruby data types, such as arrays and hashes.
- Understand how to handle programming errors and exceptions.
- When you finish this course, you will be able to write a simple Ruby programme and will be well-positioned to delve into more specific aspects of this brilliant language.
1. Writing Your First Ruby Program
- Version Check
- About This Training
- The "Big Picture" Training
- "A Little Extra" Clips
- Running Ruby
- Enter the REPL
- A Few Things to Know
2. Reading Input Data
- The Problem That We Want to Solve
- Downloading "Romeo and Juliet"
- Reading Data from a File
- Defining Constants
- A Little Extra: A Few Ways to Read Data
3. Having Fun with Strings
- Accessing Ruby's Documentation
- Bang Methods and Question Methods
- Cleaning up the Text
- Unleashing Regular Expressions
- Splitting the Text
- A Little Extra: Single and Double Quotes
4. Defining Functions
- What a Ruby Function Looks Like
- Wrapping Our Code in a Function
- "Functions" Aren't Really Functions
- A Little Extra: Global Variables
5. Juggling Collections
- Ruby's Arrays
- Exploring Array Indexes
- The Basics of Hashes
- A Little Extra: Hashes and Symbols
6. Understanding Iteration
- Writing a Loop
- Discovering Blocks
- Looping without a Loop
- A Little Extra: More Ways to Iterate
7. Writing Conditionals
- A Basic Conditional
- Cleaning up the Conditional
- A Little Extra: Multiple Cases
8. Dealing with Errors
- Rescuing Exceptions
- Terser Exception Management
- A Little Extra: Advanced Error Management