In this course, you will :
- Begin by introducing the various tools and papers required for the course. Warm up with some drawing exercises that explore the fundamental shapes that serve as the foundation for creating any letter.
- Jouamana introduces you to the world of Kufic manuscript as she teaches you the entire alphabet as well as the rules of spacing and stretching. Learn the script grammar and how letters can change when they are combined. Learn the best ways to practise Kufic manuscript in order to improve your muscle memory.
- Begin by defining the surface of your page as a guide for your Kufic script. Decide what message you want to convey through your writing and write it down in pencil. Once you're satisfied with your writing, finish it with ink.
- Then, start peeling back the layers of Kufic markings—special characters that reveal sound and meaning and serve as attractive and colourful details. Finish your text by adding punctuation and vocalisation marks, known as harakât.
- To conclude the course, Joumana demonstrates various artistic approaches for exploring Kufic as an art form.
1. Background and Essentials
- Pen, Ink and Other Tools
- Choosing and Preparing the Paper
- Basic Shapes
2. Learning the Script
- The Letters
- Connecting the Letters: Structural Changes
- Stylistic Ligatures
- Spacing and Stretching
3. Writing a Page
- Constructing the Text Box
- Selecting and Preparing the Text
- Making a Full-Size Draft
- Writing the Page
4. Finishing Touches and Taking It Forward
- Vocalisation Marks (Red Dots)
- Punctuation (Golden Motifs)
- Making the Script Your Own