Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
- Define energy return on energy investment and be able to compare various types of energy using this metric.
- Identify the environmental problems associated with coal ash waste ponds.
- Describe the history of atmospheric carbon dioxide over the past 800,000 years and identify how these concentrations are measured.
- Describe how humans mine and extract oil.
- Describe the fate and impact of plastic products.
- Describe the mechanisms for various alternative & renewable energy sources including: solar cells, geothermal, wind, hydro, and more; how they generate electricity; and their advantages and disadvantages